Friday, May 2, 2014

Experiment in a Different Writing Style

I finally got around to writing a story I developed over six months ago and discovered that, by the end of the first paragraph, my writing style had changed and become something better.  While tragic, I think this paragraph is beautiful in the structure and in the diction.  (Maybe I'm biased, but Erena is my baby, so I think I have a right to be.)  It's only angsty because this is the buildup to a really awesome reunion and happy stuff.  If you don't like super angsty stuff, please don't read this post (or the poem I titled 'Friendships Never Last') and move on to the one with Fira in it.

Thanks!

Erena lay down on the empty bed.  Empty, as it had been for weeks.  It hurt so badly some nights that Erena could almost physically feel it. Feel the loss of a lover, a best friend, a part of her soul.  Days like today almost killed her.  Days when a comment that is meant to be a source of comfort comes from blank lips and forgetful eyes.  Nights when such comments bring on vivid memories-turned-nightmares.  Watching him die over and over in the same way; the same blank eyes, he same sudden, painful silence in a cacophany of noise.  Waking up to a rush of noise in a silent room and feeling warm sheets on an empty bed.

Yes, nights like this send her rushing to the porcelain throne, body rejecting his loss.  Nights of facing a terrible reality, a private hell that can't be fixed with a wave of a magic wand.  Days of feeling like a zombie, shuffling around gutted and empty.  Some would say that that alone was the worst part.  Erena knew better; because he was alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment